Pages

May 19, 2011

Part 2, Story Post 15

This is Part Two of the story I've been creating.  If you are new to this blog, please read all of the other story posts before you read this one.  It helps just a bit.  Trust me.
         *                                                 *                                           *
       "Will Mr. White please report to the manager's office?" squawked the loud speaker on the wall.
       Toby sighed and smiled thinly at the customer.  "Let me get your stuff finished up and then I have an appointment with the big man," he said apologetically.  Humor hadn't come naturally at first for him, but it had steadily grown onto him.  The customer smiled sympathetically and accepted the bag of groceries from Toby.
       "Hey Joe, could you fill me in for a minute?" Toby called out tot a worker, gesturing to his booth.  Slang, he thought to himself.  Was nothing I would have used a few months ago.  He walked briskly, catching a glimpse of his dirty blond hair in the reflection of a polished piece of metal.
        Jennifer had decided that pitch black hair would attract too much attention.  Using bleach and hair dye, Toby had to have his hair go through a makeover every two weeks.  He hated these barber flashbacks but put up with them all the same.
        Stopping at the door marked "Manager," Toby knocked softly.
       "Please come in, Mr. White," a gruff voice called out.  Toby turned the door knob and pushed in.  Mr. Keeves was sitting in the same leather armchair he was sitting in when Toby had come in to apply for his job.  Mr. Keeves' hands were folded and placed on the large mahogany desk, face in a classic impatient expression. Toby did his best to look nervous, while inside of him cold indifference ruled his emotions.
        "My man, please sit down.  You look like you just ate something that wasn't quite dead," Mr. Keeves said, gesturing towards one of the two office chairs positioned in front of the desk.
        Giving up on the nervous idea, Toby spoke his thanks and sat down on the chair closest to the door.
        Mr. Keeves grunted and placed his hands palms down on the desk.  "Mr. White, from the time that you first started the job to today, you have been one of my hardest workers," he said seriously, staring at Toby.
       Toby shifted uncomfortably, this time not pretending.  "Thank you, sir," he said respectfully.
       "And that is why, with great pride, I offer you with the first raise I have given since I became manager back in 2000.  I understand you are a widower and have four children under your care?" Mr. Keeves said, smiling.
       "Yessir," Toby answered.  He couldn't believe his luck; Mr. Keeves had a death grip when t came to money.
      Mr. Keeves nodded, thinking hard.  "From what I've heard from my son, Sam, they're very well behaved.  Your life has been been hard, I assume?"
     Mr. Keeves' question caused Toby to freeze for a second.  His question had hit him out of nowhere and Toby struggled to maintain composure.  He swallowed, feigning sadness.  "Yes, " he replied, sorrow tearing at his throat.
      The manager nodded thoughtfully again.  "In your case, I'm going to double your current paycheck."  Seeing Toby's surprised face and open mouth, he added, "You need it more than anyone else."
        *                                          *                                        *
      "I've got something to tell you," Katline said, swinging her leg.
       Austen nodded to show that he was listening.  His arms were wrapped her and they were sitting in a tree, watching the snowflakes falling slowly down.
       "Promise you won't tell anyone?" Katline asked, tucking her hear under his chin.
       "I promise," Austen murmured, kissing the top of her head.
       Katline took a deep breath.  "I-I'm an orphan," she whispered.  "I live in an abandoned house outside of town.  I don't remember my parents, only waking up one day in an empty house." She shuddered at the memories.  "My name isn't even Katline... it's Frost.  I don't know my last name."
      Austen bit his lip from saying he was an orphan too. "I still love you," he said, kissing her head again.
      "That's not all," Katline said shakily, looking up at Austen.  "I can do... stuff."
      Austen's breath caught in his throat and Katline disentangled herself from him.  "Look," she said and waved her hand over the glittering landscape of snow.  Slowly, a flurry of snowflakes rose from the blanket of snow and drifted up towards where Katline and Austen were.  Before it reach them, Katline closed her hand and the snowflakes fell to the ground.
      "So... what do you think?" Katline said, staring down at the ground below.  She had kept her secret inside for so long that she felt  naked with out the comfort of being the only one that knew about her burden.
      Austen was silent for a while and smiled.  Katline looked up at him and a look of puzzlement crossed her face.
      "What?" she asked, confused.
     "Katline... I think it's time that you met my family," Austen said, smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment