Pages

May 6, 2011

Story Post 13

I love this post.  I don't really know why, though.
     *                                   *                                         *
       "So... this is where we'll be going?" Austen asked, staring at the building in front of us.
       "No... this is where you are going,"  Toby said, and drove off.  Tony chuckled and walked towards the brick building.  Glancing up, I saw the words "Little Falls High School" engraved in the stone archway.  As Tony opened the doubled doors into the school, I leaned backwards as the warm air from inside rushed out.  I grabbed Jennifer's hand silently and started to walk beside her.  She smiled and squeezed my hand.
       Tony walked towards a side door marked "Office."  Holding the door open for the others, I reluctantly let go of Jennifer's hand.  Tony slowly walked up to the desk where a gray haired secretary was working on some paper work.  After waiting for a few moments of waiting patiently, Ralphie sighed loudly and slumped in a office chair and Tony coughed politely.
      When the secretary didn't respond, Ralphie yelled,  "Hey, wake the freak up!"  He smirked when she looked up and glowered at him.  Just then, a girl wearing a skirt walked from the hall behind the counter.  From how Ralphie sat up quickly from his slouch, I could tell that we'll be hearing a lot about this girl from now on.
       I don't think I can stand a month of these thoughts, let alone a year, Jennifer thought to me, gesturing towards Ralphie, confirming my suspicions.  I grabbed her hand behind her back, hiding our touch from the others.  The girl smiled weakly and blew a wispy strand of pale blond hair from her eyes.
       "I'm so sorry about that," the girl said, pulling out a folder that said "White."  "Today is my turn at the counter.  Mrs. Moore isn't allowed to help."  Seeing our confused faces, she explained, "I'm a office assistant; I work in the office, instead of having a class this period.  Today, I'm supposed to work at the front desk for the first time without help."
       Tony nodded sagely and didn't say anything.  Ralphie winked at the girl and she blushed.  "I- If you would please follow me, I'll show you the school and get you situated with your schedules,"  She stuttered, walking out from behind the counter.  Tony chuckled and followed her out of the office. Letting go of Jennifer's hand, I followed Tony.
      "Here's the library,"  the girl said, pointing towards a large window with shelves and shelves of books inside.  "This will be both Cody's and... Jennifer, right?"
        Jennifer nodded silently, smiling and the blond continued speaking,  "Cody's and Jennifer's first period.  You both are media assistants." She smiled at our surprised expressions.  "We've been low on volunteers for working in the library, and from what we've seen of your English scores, we thought that you would be perfect for the job... you can always change your schedules, if you want to." She added, eyebrows furrowed.
         I shook my head silently, hardly believing my luck.  Beside me, I felt Jennifer shake her head too.  Miss Blond shook her head, confused at our reactions and gave each of us a sheet of paper.  "These are your schedules for the rest of the day.  You better hurry up; class is about to start,"  she said, pointing towards a set of double doors.
        I waved to Austen and Tony.  Tony grinned and said, "Stay out of trouble, you two."  Jennifer stuck her tongue out at him and started to walk towards the door.   I smiled and shook my head and followed her.  Looking behind me, I saw Miss Blond usher Tony and Austen down a hallway.  I smiled and turned away with a feeling that I would see a bit more of Miss Blond.

No comments:

Post a Comment