Pages

Apr 30, 2011

Story Post 12

     I opened my eyes groggily and groaned.  I was still in the apartment that smelled like... flowers?
     I bolted up and flipped the light switch.  Doing a quick 360 of the room to make sure that I was alone, I sprinted out into the living room.  A candle was burning on the small table/desk thing next to the couch.  I walked closer to it and sniffed.  Ugh... scented.
      "Good morning, Cody," a voice behind me said, amused.  I spun around and saw Rea leaning on the doorway between her room and the living room.  She had a nightgown she had bought at American Eagle on and her hair was wet.
      "Good morning, Jennifer," I said, smiling.  "How'd you get Toby to agree to that?" I asked, gesturing towards the scented candle.
      Jennifer shrugged and sipped her cup of coffee in her hands.  "Dunno," she said.  "We were moving so fast... You know this isn't the first time we've had to do this, right?"
     I nodded.  "I thought so... the way you guys acted... it was like you've done it before," I said, sitting down on the couch.
     Jennifer nodded silently and said, "Can I sit next to you?"  I smiled and patted the cushion next to me.  I put my hand around her as she put her head on my shoulder.  I closed my eyes, remembering the scent of her.  I quickly shut out my thoughts, but I swear I could tell she was smiling.
     You're the only one I feel safe talking to like this, her voice said in my head, intruding upon my thoughts.
     Why?  No one can tell what you are saying, I thought, puzzled.
      I know, she thought back.  But I still feel like the other person can tell what I'm thinking.  She leaned closer to me, closing her eyes.
     And I couldn't possibly ever do that, I thought, smiling widely.  I'm just too dim and innocent looking to be that clever.
     I felt her body shake as she laughed silently.  No, silly; I don't know why.  You just feel... safe.
     I played with her hair.  You're the only mind reader I would talk to.
      She smiled and hugged me.  I love you, she thought quietly, voicing words that we would have never been able to say aloud.
      My eyes opened wide and a flood of thoughts entered my mind that were, for once, my own.  I thought the most prominent one; I love you too.
      I felt her sigh.  Bl-Toby won't be happy about this.  It might blow our cover.  A tear trickled down her cheek.  Suddenly I saw her story; the soul mate of her life caught trying to break into the refrigerator and pleading with Blade to "Let him stay for a while," and trying not to look too happy when he had agreed.  I could see her, biting her lip to keeping from saying the words, knowing how weird it would  be to say that you had a crush on your almost-brother.  I could see her sliding looks at me, remembering the way I looked while smiling. 
       Then, just as suddenly, I saw my story.  Waking up from being hit on the head in the middle of the night to a fierce, beautiful girl standing over me, hands on hip, demanding "What the heck is your name?"  I could see me hitting myself on the head to dislodge the thoughts that would not go away.  I could see myself glancing over at her to make sure that she was still there and not a figment of my imagination.
      I slowly caught the tear on my finger and flicked it away.  Who says we have to tell him? I retorted, wisely.
       Footsteps sounded in the hallway and I heard, Good idea, before Jennifer leapt up and walked towards the kitchen.  Tony stumbled blearily into the living room and yawned.
       "Good morning," Jennifer said cheerfully, sitting down at the kitchen table.  You better get into the shower before you're late for school, a voice in my head said.
       I smiled at her and walked silently past Tony, who mumbled, "Hey Zane."
      I laid down on my bed, smiling like a deranged man.  For the past four years, I had been hiding my feelings inside, trying to convince myself more and more that Rea could care less about me and that I was just hallucinating and should find someone else to fall in love with.  What just happened felt like a fairytale... I shook my head to help clear my thoughts and grabbed a white "Casual Tee No. 1," skinny jeans, socks and underwear and headed towards the bathroom.
      As I soaked in the hot water, I swear I could hear "Realize" by Colbie Caillat playing in the background.
               *                                             *                                            *
      I don't know why, but this post just came up in my thoughts and I was like, Heck, it's worth a try.  Comment if you like it, go away if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment