Pages

May 11, 2011

Story Post 14

Love the beginning of this one; anytime I can look into Ralphie's side of the story is nice and I hope you'll enjoy.
       *                                                          *                                    *
      "So..." Austen said, walking next to the office assistant.  "What's your name?"
      The girl smiled shyly.  "My name's Katline Smith.  What's yours?"
      "Ra-Austen White," Austen answered, covering up his slip.  He cursed himself inside; that was a beginner mistake.
      Katline laughed. "Rausten?  That's a weird name," she said.
      "It is, isn't it?" Austen said vaguely, walking closer to her.  Tony had left them a couple of minutes before, heading towards Chemistry.  "Your name is beautiful."
      Katline blushed and looked away.  "T-thank you," she said, walking closer to Austen.
      *                                                           *                                         *
      I nodded, listening to the stern-faced librarian lecture us on the importance of "treating books with respect" and organizing them "properly."  I've been through enough speeches like this to know that it's better just to close your mouth and act like you're listening.  Jennifer sighed and switched from leaning on one leg to the other.
      "Okay, okay.  I'm here," said a voice behind me.  A deeply tanned lady with black hair was walking towards us.  She was wearing a blouse and tight fitting jeans; there was something different about the way she walked that caught my attention.
      The stern librarian nodded towards us.  "These are the new assistants," she sneered.  Jennifer's face changed for a second and I could feel her getting ready to punch this lady, librarian or not.
      The thin lady smiled at us and turned to the other woman.  "Ms. Bumgardner, you can leave," she said polity in an accent that I couldn't place.
      Ms. Bumgardner nodded sullenly and walked away.  The tanned woman turned to us and explained herself.  "That was Ms.  Bumgardner.  She was substituting for me while I was at a meeting.  My name is Mrs. Selwyn.  I am the librarian."
      My mouth opened and closed, realizing how stupid it would be to give away my identity just because another person has the same name as me.  Jennifer felt my distress and distracted the librarian.  "Your accent is different.  Where are you from?" she asked.
      The woman smiled and gestured towards the cushioned seats that were spread out in groups of four around the library.  "Have a seat," she said.
      I said thank you and sat down.  Jennifer sat in the seat next to me and Mrs. Selwyn sat in a seat across from us.  "I'm originally a Lumbee Indian from North Carolina," she said, smiling warmly.  I was getting used to this smile.  "As I'm sure, Ms. Bumgardner has lectured you on the rules of the library.  In reality, I'm not that strict."  She paused for a moment, enjoying our reactions.
      "I love books," she explained, gesturing at the bookcases that filled the room.  "I don't love discipline.  I never did.  If you like books and you work hard, then I see no reason to push unnecessary rules."  She gave each of us a piece of paper.  "This is a reading log; each week you both will have to do a complete scour of the library and make sure that all of the books are in order.  Also, at least one of you will have to be at the front desk," she said, gesturing to a large desk with a computer and scanner on top of it.  "Whenever someone's here.  The reading log is for you to keep track of books you read.  If you do what you're supposed to and read at least one hundred books by the end of the year, you'll pass with an A."
      I smiled and heard Jennifer's voice in my head.  This is so good, it can't be real.
      I nodded, dazed.  It's real, alright, I replied.
      "Now, I know that the two of you are siblings," Mrs. Selwyn continued, moving her hands through the air.  "So there's no need for me to give you the usual lecture I have to give every time I have a boy and a girl working together."  She winked at the hint, oblivious to how close her words struck.
      People have no idea, Jennifer thought to me, smiling at Mrs. Selwyn.
      I held up a thumbs up sign for the librarian.  Best thing about our situation, I retorted.  No one would ever suspect.
      Seeing that introductions had been dealt with, Mrs. Selwyn got up.  "We only have about ten more minutes left in this class period.  You may take a look around.  I'm late for a meeting," she said, walking towards the exit doors.
      I murmured my thanks and Jennifer said that it was nice meeting her.  I wandered off into the tall dark bookcases.
      Immersed in the world of books, I almost shouted when a hand grabbed my arm and pulled me out of view.  I spun around and gasped as Jennifer's lips pressed against mine.  We stayed like that, hidden from view of the world and the stinging, piercing eyes, enjoying our first kiss.
      The bell sounded, separating us.  I chuckled and a faint smile played upon Jennifer's lips.  "I can see what my favorite class will be now." I murmured, hugging her.

No comments:

Post a Comment