Pages

Mar 21, 2011

Story Post 2

      *CRACK* I dove for the ground, holding my hands behind my head.  They have guns?  I thought, peeking out from underneath my arm.  Rea hadn't moved an inch since we had made it out of the crowd; instead, she was pointing at the rooftop of a Mom and Pop store.
     She's finally lost it, I thought as I scrambled up to push her away from the ricocheting bullets.  As I tried to grab her, she jerked away and pointed at the roof.  "It's Tony!" she shouted, waving her hands.
     I glanced at the roof top and I saw him.  Tony was standing there, hands in the air, with...pebbles circling around him?
     My head spun as the ground raced up to my face.  Just before it hit me, I blacked out.
          *                                                             *                                                            *
     "What the heck was that?!"  I shouted at them.
     Rea, Tony, Blade, and Ralphie were sitting on the cardboard boxes that littered our home.  A drop of water fell from the ceiling of the warehouse and landing beside me.  Ralphie coughed uncomfortably and shifted.
     After a few minutes of almost-silence, Rea sighed and said, "Come on guys, we can't keep this a secret anymore.  Can't you see that he has it?"  Ralphie looked like he was going to be sick.
     "Has what?  What do I have?!"  I cried out, looking from Rea to Blade, our leader.  Rea ignored me and stared intently at Blade.  Blade stared back at her, shades covering his eyes.
      After a few moments, Blade sighed and shook off his midnight black jacket.  Leaning back, he nodded at Rea and fell asleep.
     "What was that all about?"  I asked, feeling like a young kid who doesn't get a joke. "You guy's playing 'Don't Blink'?"  Ralphie snorted and Rea stared at him, narrowing her eyes.
     "Do want to know the truth or what?"  Rea snapped, staring at me.
      I nodded silently, turning serous again.  Rea took a deep breath and nodded silently.  We used to call Rea The Wolf.  It always seemed as if she was staring at the moon, wishing she could get way from this place.  I like to believe that was the reason; instead, we called her The Wolf because of her crazy hair.
     "Let's start with your 'power'," she said, making quotation marks in the air.  "A while ago, we found out that some of us had 'powers'.  Blade told Ralphie to go to the library and find some information on what the heck was happening to us.  Ralphie came back and told us that we had something called ESP."
     "I've heard of that before."  I interrupted, remembering a show I'd seen when I had a TV.  And a room.  And a bed.  And a-
     "Well, none had," Rea said, unknowingly interrupting my internal wrestling match.  "When we first heard it, we thought we had some kind of disease.  I was supposed to have telepathy, the ability to read and speak though minds"
     I almost fell backwards; in the first few sentences, Rea moved her mouth and words came out.  Towards the end, however, she shut her mouth.  But the words continued to sound as if they were being spoken.  I shuddered again and felt dizzy.  What the heck was going on?




No comments:

Post a Comment